top of page
Building the Romanesque Castle (1891-1892)
The Wyman School: Construction, Naming, and Opening (1891–1892)
The following account is drawn directly from the Annual Reports of the Woburn School Committee for 1891 and 1892, published by Andrews, Cutler & Co. and The News Print respectively. These are the official, contemporary records of the school's construction and naming.
The 1891 Report: Construction Begins — and Controversy
The 1891 School Committee Report, signed by Vice-Chairman W. F. Kenney, records that 1891 "witnessed the completion of a four-room building at Woburn Highlands, three rooms of which are now occupied, and the beginning of a four-room structure at Central Square."
The report candidly acknowledges a significant disagreement between the School Board and the City Council over the site selection. The building at Central Square was described as "situated too far north to meet the immediate demands of that section of the city." The committee noted: "Through no fault of the School Board, a site was purchased by the city that is too far away for young children living between Franklin and New Boston Streets." The committee formally recorded its disapproval of the location, though "their protest came too late."
The report also notes that the 1891 committee made the selection of school sites and erection of buildings a governance issue, arguing that "the best results in municipal government can only be accomplished by making each department responsible for the welfare of that department."
"The opening of a new school known as the Central Square School made it possible to transfer enough primary pupils from Main Street to dispense with the overflow room in the Carter House." It served an immediate and practical purpose the moment it opened in 1892 — relieving overcrowding that had forced the school district to use secondary spaces. (Annual school committee 1891)
The 1892 Report: Completion and Naming
The 1892 Annual Report of the School Committee, signed by Vice-Chairman John R. Carter and dated December 27, 1892, contains the first official record of the school's name: "During the year the new schoolhouse at Central Square has been completed and given the name of 'Wyman.' The fall term opened with three rooms occupied, and three grades in each room."
— Annual Report of the School Committee of the City of Woburn, 1892, p. 306
The same report raised the site-placement concern again, noting that had the School Board's recommendations been followed, "for less money than has now been expended we should have accommodations for several years to come." The Union Street district was overflowing and facing a half-time system as a result.
Wyman School's estimated first-year operating costs: *Wyman $860
The Wyman School, with its estimated $860 annual operating cost, was by far the most expensive school to run in the city — more than double the next most expensive traditional school — largely owing to its new ventilating system.
The report closes with a note of civic ceremony: "In closing, we desire to express our thanks to Post 33, G. A. R., for the flag presented to the city, to be placed on the Wyman Schoolhouse." The Grand Army of the Republic — the Union veterans' organization — donated the first flag to fly over the new school.
Source: Annual Report of the School Committee of the City of Woburn, 1891 (Andrews, Cutler & Co., 1892); Annual Report of the School Committee of the City of Woburn, 1892 (The News Print, 1893). Primary documents on file.
The city's own chronological history records a striking fact about 1892: Woburn celebrated its 250th anniversary that year. The population had reached about 14,000 and there were more than 2,290 dwelling houses. The number of schools had increased to 48, teachers numbered 56, and pupils — now called "scholars" — had increased to 2,561. That surge in population.
Full Architectural Description of the Building
Exterior: The Castle Form
The building presents itself as a Romanesque civic fortress:
-
massive granite foundation blocks anchored into glacial soil
-
thick brick load-bearing walls
-
arched stone entrances
-
elevated position above Main Street
-
towered central massing symbolizing civic authority
The design reflects both:
-
industrial-era durability
-
and Victorian civic ambition
Masonry & Foundation - P. McHugh & Son
Double-thick fire vaults; lead-poured granite foundation engineered to resist the acidic Tannery Flats groundwater; "Tannery Grade" brickwork
Carpentry - G.R. Forbes & Co.
Heavy timber tower framing; North Carolina Hard Pine wainscoting — now petrified to near-iron hardness after 130+ years
Mechanical System - Isaac D. Smead & Co. (Toledo/Boston)
Complete engineering blueprint for the building's passive "breathing" Smead ventilation system
Tower Engineering- City Engineering Dept.
Tapered masonry tower walls — significantly thicker at the base — reinforced to carry the 1,500 lb Hooper Bell without vibration
The most extreme engineering challenge was the ground itself. P. McHugh & Son deployed two extraordinary techniques. First, a massive cut-granite foundation of locally quarried North Woburn stone, hand-set to resist both structural loads and the acidic groundwater of the Tannery Flats — standard porous brick would have wicked up the contamination and crumbled within a decade. Second, they employed Lead Pouring: molten lead was poured into drilled joints between the granite blocks, locking them together permanently. Those silver-grey lead seals remain in place today, still holding the school together as designed in 1891.
bottom of page